The history of Tréfimétaux

Tréfimétaux was created in the 60s of last century. From 1987 to March 2016, she was part of the KME group under the name of KME France since May 2007. In April 2016, Tréfimétaux returns to its original name and regroups Courbevoie sites, Givet, Niederbruck and Seravalle Scrivia in Italy.

1962

The birth of Tréfimétaux by merger of the Compagnie Française des Métaux (founded in 1892) and the Tréfileries et Laminoirs du Havre (founded in 1907).

1967

Merger and acquisition of Tréfimétaux by the Pechiney Group. Tréfimétaux constitutes the copper division of the Pechiney Group and represents 8% of its activities.

1975
-1980

Tréfimétaux refocuses its activities on mechanical products and gives the activities which are not in accordance with its strategy. In 1980, the cable production business is sold to Pirelli.

1980
-1987

Tréfimétaux restructures itself: substantial investments are implemented to improve productivity and process reliability, along with a progressive and significant downsizing passing from 6 000 to 2 500 people. The factories of Le Havre and Dives sur Mer are closed.

1987

The Italian company SMI, which already operates in copper, acquires 100% of Tréfimétaux with Pechiney. This merger resulted in the creation of a large European industrial group specialized in copper processing. A multi-year investment plan of 100 million francs was then engaged for Tréfimétaux.

1989

The company Cuivre et Alliage, a subsidiary of Tréfimétaux since 1987, became a separate division.

1990

The Italian Company “SMI” Società Metallurgica Italiana SpA acquires through its subsidiary “Europa Metalli SpA” the majority of shares of KM-Kabelmetal and became the first copper transformer in the world.

1991

Tréfimétaux reorganizes his rolled products division and consolidating its distribution activities in France.

1993

A common management structure to Europa Metalli and Tréfimétaux is established. It is built around three operating divisions, grouping together homogeneous production and sales activities (tubes, brass rods and copper and rolled products).

1995

Tréfimétaux SA (France), Europa Metalli SpA (Italy) and KM-Kabelmetal AG (Germany), three companies operating longtime in the European copper industry, merged to form KME, a subsidiary 100% held by the SMI.

1999

SMI increases its shareholding in KME AG.

2003

SMI holds 100% of the capital of KME AG.

2005

The business of the Brass Rods is become a subsidiary. The French subsidiary was renamed Tréfimétaux Brass SAS.

2006

The Financial holding SMI was renamed KMEGroup SpA.

2007

In order to reinforce its image of an European Group fully integrated, KME Group decides to adopt, for all its subsidiaries, KME® brand. So, as of 1st May 2007, Tréfimétaux SA becomes KME France SAS S.A.S and Tréfimétaux Brass becomes KME Brass France SAS.

2016

European Copper Tubes (ECT) Ltd, the mother company of Cupori and KME AG have executed the agreement signed at the end of December 2015 in the capital of KME France S.A.S. This agreement will give rise to a great European industrial player in the activities of tubes and copper rods thanks to industrial synergies on industrial know how, research and development.

This agreement is limited to the French plants of Givet and Niederbruck and their related activities : respectively in tubes (Givet) and copper rods (Niederbruck). It also concerns the tubes activity carried out in the Italian plant of Seravalle Scrivia, a division of KME Italy S.p.A.

Logo